Sunday, December 27, 2015

My housecleaning standards aren't what they used to be. (That being said, about half of you just vowed never to be a houseguest at Chez Lynn. [Perfect.]) It's not that I don't clean house it's just that I'm less anxious about it.

When I was first married, I was sure that it was my responsibility to keep a spotless house. As a full time student, I found the only way to keep house was to do one room each day. I would get up early every morning and scrub some portion of the house no one was likely to see.

As we moved from an apartment to a 2,600 square foot house, to 5,000 square feet, I found it was easier to have a house cleaner thus transferring the responsibility to someone else. Now, we live in a 1,300 square foot condo that we take care of together, sparingly.

This reminds me of the last hotel I stayed in. In the bathroom, there were showering instructions. No, really.  If I'm old enough to rent a hotel room, you'd think I'd be old enough to understand the basic principals of showering. Nevertheless, there were four instructions. I meant to take a picture to share them with you. Since I didn't, I'll share what I believe to be the highlight. Paraphrased: "Wash the parts that smell and only when you have to."

That's precisely the philosophy I adhere to when it comes to housecleaning. Basically: "If you can't see it, it isn't dirty." It's not until I drop a pair of earrings that I really see what is going on down there. But until then, who cares?

So, if you do come to visit, just leave the white gloves at home.

No comments: