Saturday, October 4, 2014

Beach Music

When was the last time you went to the beach? Did you bring a book? Did you bring a hundred?

These days I read everything in pixels rather than on paper although I have a deep nostalgia for paper. In fact, I used to carry a little notebook around with me everywhere I went. It was part journal, part list and reminder keeper, part address book, and a place to jot down my many random thoughts. Now, I can do that all on my phone which isn't as romantic but is sometimes more convenient. Still, I love seeing people read books on non electronic, no batteries required, paper. Especially, young people. 

But then I got a Kindle which is an amazing, light weight reading device. I can literally carry a hundred books in my pocket although it's rare that I can read more than one in an entire month not to mention a week on the beach. I love reading on my Kindle but that's all I can do on it which, in fact, is one of the beautiful things about it. Much like the beach novel, I can't check my email and I don't get Facebook notifications on it. 

I also travel with a laptop for the times I actually do want to stay in touch or need to check in with the office. I recently acquired a iPad so I felt like I should bring that along as well if for no other reason than to become acquainted with it. And, of course, it's hard to go anywhere without my cell phone and maybe some earbuds. 

So, all last week, I packed my backpack for the beach with our two phones, two iPads, and two Kindle readers. I tried to leave the laptop behind but, truthfully, I did bring it with me at least once. Loaded, my backpack weighed at least as much as a hundred books.  

Maybe I should simplify. The next time I go to the beach, maybe all I need is a paperback novel. 

No comments: