Monday, March 26, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak

Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross 

Last night, I made the Philly Cheesesteak recipe from the March edition of Cooking Light magazine. I don't really like flank steak. Mostly, because it always comes out tough. But when I followed the directions, sliced it thin, and seasoned it generously, it came out tender and delicious. Don't skip the 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire and 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce. Even those small amounts made a big, flavorful difference.

I did skip step three altogether, however. Instead of melting provolone and Parmigiano-Regianno cheeses with additional ingredients (milk, flour, mustard), I just used one slice of provolone and one slice of Swiss per sandwich.

I won't hollow out the rolls tonight (for the leftovers). For four sandwiches, I thought the recipe was just a little short. (Maybe, add another mushroom or use 16 ounces steak next time.)

It would be almost elegant with a salad or sliced apples on the side. I served it with potato chips and was pretty happy about it.

No comments: