Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's Not Green Now

It's snowing, as I mentioned. Big, white fluffy flakes that won't hang around long. (Actually, I just decided to peek at a weather forecast - for whatever that's worth - and it looks like we could get snow through the weekend. Jeez.)

Which brings me to my point. The Washington State license plate features a blue rendition of a snow covered Mount Rainier on a white background. All the lettering is in red. The caption reads,

The Evergreen State

So, I checked out the history of our state's license. At no time did the license plate feature evergreens, although the plate was often green itself. You can see all the passenger-car license plates from 1916 to 2008 here. The first green plate was in 1921 but green wasn't used predominantly until 1929. Green was dropped altogether when the Mt. Rainier plate came out in 1987. "Evergreen State" was added in 1997. 

No wonder Mother Nature is confused.

No comments: