Saturday, March 27, 2010

I Care!

It does not get better than this. Or, maybe it does.

Nutshell Library is a 4-book set of tiny children's books the titles of which are: Alligators All Around, Chicken Soup with Rice, One Was Johnny, and Pierre. Books that, while tiny (each 3.8 x 2.8 inches), were books that were read to me over and over until the dust jackets fell apart. Enough so that to this day we still quote parts of the stories to each other like they're inside jokes, memories that we share with each other that are exclusive of the outside world, capsules of childhood that we can carry in our pockets.

They were written by Maurice Sendak who also wrote Where The Wild Things Are (now a movie).

My mom saved these books until I had children of my own and then I read them again, over and over, to them.

But now those books are lost. Given to someone who is hopefully reading them to their kids and enjoying them as much as I did.

I want them back! I found a new set online and can't wait for them to be delivered. They won't be the same, not having been loved over the years. Not yet. Hopefully they'll become as much loved by my children's children as they were by me and my family and will be passed along to those they love.

But wait, there's more! While I was searching for these books online I discovered a children's album recorded by Carole King called Really Rosie. And just right now, as I was looking for a link to Really Rosie, I discovered it's not only an album, it's a children's musical!

It really does not get better than this. Listen to Pierre at lala.com. You'll care, too.

No comments: