Thursday, September 26, 2024

Toast

It's easy to take things for granted. Take toast, for example. Bread in, toast out. A little butter or jam and there you go.

I've been making my toast the same way all my life. And by "all my life," I mean I've been using the same toaster for 60 years. Literally.

My mom probably made it for me when I was little but it's the same toaster. I think it was a wedding present long ago. I don't remember when she decided it was time to get a new toaster but I can understand why. It didn't make good toast.

Maybe it did 60 years ago but now, I can tell you, it burns one side of the bread while only gently warming the other side. The knob that is supposed to adjust these things is sticky so the best you can do is dial it down to just warm bread on both sides of the bread.

But that's the way it's always been (as far as I can remember anyway) and while my husband reasons we have gotten the most of this toaster - more than anyone can reasonably expect - I still refuse to replace it.

So, I won't tell him that the toast we had this morning in our vacation rental was probably the best toast I've ever had. It's funny that he didn't say anything, come to think of it. I guess he just knows that it's futile to suggest getting a new toaster.

I guess he just takes it for granted.

No comments: