Saturday, June 18, 2022

Maybe in Ohio?

I saw an article by Angelina LaRue in my local paper, reprinted from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, that began:

" You may recall a popular salad that’s been around for years that contains ranch-style beans, grated cheese, Fritos, and French dressing . . . "

And I thought, No! I definitely do not recall any such thing! (Sounds like something that might be in one of my Ohio cookbooks, however.)

"It's tasty . . ," the article continued.

Pass!

" . . . but I craved a cleaned-up version. . . ."

At this point I was thinking, This recipe needs more than cleaning up.

I glanced at the list of ingredients:

  • 1 head heart of Romaine lettuce
  • 15-ounce can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
  • 3/4 cup whole black olives
  • 1/2 cup grape tomato halves
  • 1/2 red onion, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds
  • 1 to 2 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
What? No Fritos? No cheese?

This was a total overhaul!

Now, I'm intrigued. And, with temperatures consistently over 100 degrees in my neck of the woods, this looks like a refreshing and easy dinner. I'm going to try this.

As for the original recipe, it looks like it may be more of a Texas thing.

Sorry, Ohio.

No comments: