Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Physics

Why does coffee ground for espresso have less static electricity than coffee ground for a French press? Same grinder, same bean so I think it has something to do with surface area.

While I wasn't able to find the answer to my query, a quick search on the internet revealed that static in coffee grinding is a common problem. Cook's Illustrated offers that the only thing to do to get rid of static is give the static time to dissipate on its own:
" For medium-grind coffee (appropriate for a regular drip coffee maker), grind the coffee, wait for 5 minutes, and then remove the grind chamber from the machine. "
Five minutes? Clearly, they jest.

The most interesting (and most expensive) solution was a Zerostat 3. Cool.

I wonder if Amazon sells a holster that I can attach to my bathrobe.

No comments: