Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sweating the Small Stuff

It's easy to be grumpy this time of year. It's cold outside, for starters. And there's a lot to fret over if you give into that kind of thing - the details of managing one's life, crushed by the details of managing just the month of December. On top of it, someone hacked my email account and I've spent countless hours updating my cyber security.

What a pain.

The account that got hacked didn't hold much in the way of useful information. It generated some spam email but most of the address book was out of date so I don't think it was far reaching. Most of my computers (there are seven, if you count Hubby's, if you can believe that!) don't have anything on them. We do most of our work and playing in cyberspace and don't store much on our local hardware. There is one that might have information on it, but it's limited to photos mostly. Any "sensitive" information is likely out of date.

So I've been trying to button up the online security and it's gotten complicated. This one syncs with that one and all the apps, not to mention Windows 8, want to share information with other apps and before you know it, it's spun out of control. My information is everywhere - on my phone and on computers spread all over Western Washington, linked with Facebook, Twitter, and who knows what else.

I've un-synced everything, changed all my passwords, put a fraud alert on my credit report, changed how I store passwords, and added two-step verification to the accounts that hold more sensitive information. Even then, I've translated any and all sensitive information into a code that only Hubby and I know so even if someone gets in, none of it will make any sense.

Besides all that, I'm busier than I want to be and not goofing off as much as I'd like to which is why I'm killing time here. I just wanted to take a little time for myself.

BTW, I'm reading I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. It's a beautiful book, a must read if you haven't read it already. And, if you have, read it again. It's worth it.

No comments: