Monday, September 17, 2012

Nightmare!

I dreamed that we suffered a power outage last night. (The dream and the power outage.) I woke up and noted the time. It was 4:30 am. It didn't occur to me that I wouldn't know the time if the power was out. In my dream-state, I was confident that my electric clock had a battery backup. It made perfect sense at the time and, as far as I know, it could be true.

The real concern wasn't what time it was, or whether my clock was functioning properly, or even whether there was a power outage at all. My only concern, after noting the time, was how I was going to make coffee later in the morning. There was nothing to be done about it at that early hour so I dozed back to sleep and hoped the power would be on again shortly.

At closer to 7 am, I wondered if the power was back. The clock was functioning, as before, but why bother getting out of bed if there's no coffee? I imagined I might have to trek to Starbucks to get my literal and figurative juices flowing. But, then, I heard a tick - the sound of the bathroom heater clicking on. Aha! Power!

I emerged from my bed/cocoon and checked the clock on the microwave. Not flashing. No power outage. It had all been a dream and I was saved! Coffee was mine and the day was dawning fresh, anew, with glory and hope abounding. Amen.

But I need to add this to my To Do List: Go to the boat and retrieve my kettle and french press. Catastrophe awaits and I must be prepared.

No comments: