Monday, August 6, 2012

The bottom of Lake Washington is now the home to my prescription sunglasses. Bad timing, as we plan to be on the boat another week or so. I can see pretty well without them but I'm going to want to pick up a pair somewhere just for the eye protection.

They had been falling of my head all day but I was mindful to take them off every time I jumped in the lake to cool off, which was often. After the airshow, we moved over to Andrews Bay to drop a hook for the night. I was standing on the side of our boat with my glasses on top of my head, untying a line to move a dinghy so that another boat could raft alongside. I was bent over, my hands occupied, when my glasses plopped into the drink.

I hesitated and that was my mistake. I should have gone right after them but my mind took a moment to consider whether they might float (they didn't) and whether there was too much boat traffic for it to be safe (maybe). That moment's hesitation was all it took for my sunglasses to sink beyond reach even if I had jumped in and so they decended.

Oh well. It was probably time for a new pair anyway.

No comments: