Saturday, October 3, 2026

Happy Birthday to Me!


This year, I got exactly what I wanted. 

I got up this morning and walked four miles (round trip) for my free coffee at Starbucks. Size: Fill it to the top, please!

I told the barista that I had contemplated bringing my Happy Birthday helium balloon bouquet with me on this birthday coffee trek. He wasn't too sure how to respond to that so he just smiled at me nervously and said, "Next in line?"

Both there and back, I contemplated all that I have to be grateful for. Life itself, for one. I'm soon to be four years cancer free. That's pretty awesome. I'm thankful for that every day. I'm married 37 years (to the same person!) and I have a beautiful family. 

But what really amazes me is the love that surrounds me today. It's hard to describe because it's really there every day. People lean in to whisper I love you. Some with simple words. Some with many, many words (you know who you are). The effect is the same. I feel touched. Seen. Loved. How can I not feel grateful?

3.7 miles, total elevation gain 1,957 ft.
I'm grateful for what my body allows me to do every day. Like this, for example: 

I bought new shoes (after 1,250 miles on my last pair), tickets to a play, a new skirt (recently), and made reservations for dinner at my favorite sushi restaurant. I treated myself to a facial and painted my toenails. I might get crazy and paint my fingernails as well. There's a Diabolical level Sudoku waiting for me plus a new book to read.

I've had greetings in multiple languages, from multiple countries, and my husband made me breakfast (and cleaned it up!). 

All of it, it's honestly more than I could have wished for. But I'm glad that I have it. And I'm thankful for everyone who shared in it with me. Thank you. 

No comments: