Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Reports From the River

My scale misses me when I travel. Whenever I return from a trip, she lies about my weight. While flattering, there’s no way I could have lost poundage eating deep dish pizza in Chicago.

But the love wears thin in about a week when she suggests, in no uncertain terms, that that I’ve gained three pounds overnight. Another one today.

She misses me no more. Must be time to go somewhere.

This is a picture from this morning's walk. You can see the beach is back now that the river has receded. Not long ago, the river was up to the white-ish mark you can see on this bulkhead wall.

A blue heron landed at the water's edge beside me as I was taking this picture but flew away again before I could snap his picture.

On my walk, I saw the Russian guy. I have no idea if he's Russian or not. I just have this idea that he is. We used to see him walking every morning along with a woman and a child (wife and daughter?) but haven't seen them in a while. Today, it was just him.

I also came across the Hat Lady. We call her that because she is always wearing a big hat. She is usually wearing a long, flowing dress as well but we don't call her the Dress Lady. Today, she was wearing shorts and I confirmed that she has legs. Two. She was walking her fluffy white dogs. The dogs were not wearing hats, nor dresses, and had four legs each. 

Last night, the airplanes were flying west to east which is the direction they usually fly in the winter. Today, they are flying east to west. I am relieved as summer hasn't even started yet.

I've avoided work for as long as I possibly can this morning. If I can avoid work for just a couple more minutes, it will be afternoon and I will have successfully eschewed work for half a day.

It's possible I'll get some work done this afternoon. It's equally possible I will take a nap.

No comments: