Friday, June 6, 2014

Million Dollar Jeans

I'm finally getting to wear my "new" jean skirt which fits me, well, like a pair of well worn jeans.

Price tag:
Original pair of jeans, purchased circa 2004 (just guessing) - $74
Professional ass-patching when said ass of jeans wore out, circa 2009 - $50
More ass patching, and conversion to skirt, 2013 - $80 (I made all these prices up.)
Comfy skirt made of the softest denim ever - priceless.

Okay, so it's not a million bucks but it's definitely folly. These were my first pair of jeans that cost more than $25. They were Sevens but Costco was selling them at the time. (I don't really know how much I paid for them. (I don't know how much milk costs either.))

Some time later, I wore through the bottom so I sent them to get patched. To New York. To a place called Denim Therapy. (They're still in business, btw, so if you have a favorite pair of jeans that you can't live without - wait, who says that? - I highly recommend this outfit - wait, was that a pun?) Even though the bottom was patched, the hems and waistband were frayed.

A few years later, my derrière busted through again in another spot and I thought that was the end of the line. I didn't think it was worth sending them to New York again not to mention the inquiries from the postal service as to why my pants would need psychiatric help. So I patched them myself with an iron-on patch.

It wasn't long, however, before I busted out the knees. At this point the front pockets were frayed and the back pockets were nearly dissolving. What prompted me to save the pants from certain death can only be described as love.

(Okay, maybe 'tis I who need therapy, not my jeans.)

But save them I did by reincarnating them into a skirt. (Rather, by paying someone else to do it.) By the time the job was completed it was too cold to wear the skirt (seeing as I don't live below the 40th parallel). But now, it's warm enough (finally!) and I get to wear my soft-as-worn-denim-"new"-skirt. (With red shoes, if anyone is asking.)

If I bust through the ass again, I'm going to have to
a) reduce the size of my ass, or
b) reinforce the skirt with kevlar.
Oooh, yes.

(I got a good deal on parentheses on Ebay.)

2 comments:

-p said...

I think you may have come down with parenthesitis (a disease i've lived with for years).

Ted Compton said...

I have some spare semicolons if you want to swap.