Saturday, November 23, 2013

Napsack

BOOOOOOOM
Napsack from Poler
Who wouldn't want one of these? A sleeping bag and a coat, all in one. You would never - absolutely never - have to get out of bed. And if you're camping, you wouldn't have to get out of your sleeping bag when you have to go to the bathroom! Where was this product 40 years ago?

All this for the incredible price of $130 from Poler - the world's highest standard of stuff.

Attractive, no?



I first saw this product in the Alaska Airlines in-flight magazine Holiday 2013 Gift Guide (November issue, page 103). And I said to myself, I must have it.

Move over, Snuggy! I've got a sack that I can nap in!

As soon as I got on the ground, I searched for "sleeping bag coat" and I got quite a range of results. On one end, I got this:
What this has to do with The Strand Hotel NYC, I have no idea.

I also got this, which was far more interesting:
The self-heated, waterproof and multi-functional Elements Survival Coat is designed around over 18,000 homeless people living in Detroit. It converts readily into a sleeping bag at night, while providing portable warmth during the day. . . .
Donations are being accepted to help buy velcro, plastic tubing, scissors and hot glue that go into the construction process. Of course, clothing alone is not the solution – this coat comes with a minimum-wage job, food to eat and other assistance for getting back on one’s feat. It might not be a long-term solution, but any home is better than none … and the materials+assembly price is difficult to beat.
Read more: Sleeping Bag Coats: Makeshift Wearable Homeless Shelters
(Also, here: ABC News.)

Instead of buying a Napsack from Poler, I'll make a donation to The Empowerment Plan instead. Their mission:
We're a Detroit-based nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the homeless community. We hire homeless women from local shelters to become full time seamstresses. These women manufacture a coat that transforms into a sleeping bag, which is then given out to homeless individuals living on the streets at no cost to them. ​ 
We believe in giving second chances to those who want it, and providing warmth to those who need it.
Or, you could get the Norma Kamali Narrow Sleeping Bag Car Coat from Saks Fifth Avenue for a cool $600. Does it come with a car? Because, if it does, I'll donate to that.

No comments: