Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Take a Memo

I get a tax briefing by subscription every day at work and sometimes I run across something that tickles me. I was going to repost the briefing in its entirety but I bothered to read the copyright notice and decided against it.

The brief referred to a memo issued by a United States Tax Court in the case of Benjamin J. Ashmore v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue. The matter concerned an accuracy-related penalty assessed for failure to report wage income.

Here's the part that's funny taken from the original memo:
Petitioner has been employed since 2004 as a senior policy analyst for the
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), for which he
regularly deals with numbers, formulas, and details. Petitioner has earned two
master’s degrees, one in public policy and the other in business administration. 
U.S. Tax Court Memo
His excuse: I didn't get the W2.

Okay,  maybe not laugh out loud funny. But definitely tax geek funny.

No comments: