Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tradeoffs

I was just at the grocery store picking up, among other things, frozen peas. Maybe it's been a while since I've been down the freezer aisle - or maybe I just never noticed before - but the frozen vegetable section is really small relative to the rest of the frozen goodies. I found it a little depressing.

Maybe that's because vegetables have their own dedicated section elsewhere in the store. Maybe it's because fresh fruits and vegetables are readily available (is that even true?) or the demand for the frozen variety is much lower than for fresh or canned.

Or, maybe the demand for TV dinners and  potatoes processed in every conceivable manner and shape imaginable commands more freezer space than frozen peas or corn.

I don't know. I did find more frozen vegetables in a section of the frozen aisle labeled "Natural" which I found a little ironic.

All I know is this: by contemplating the popularity of frozen vegetables I have effectively avoided doing my ironing. I figure that's a win.

No comments: