Friday, July 13, 2012

Pink Mop

Both of the yacht clubs at which I am a member have “awards” for boating blunders. These would be mishaps or boating faux pas that do not result in bodily injury or property damage. One is a flag to be flown on your vessel, called the “Boo Boo Burgee.” The other club awards a pink mop. I don’t know why it’s pink - or why it’s a mop for that matter. (Someone told me once but I forget.)

I have never been awarded either of these distinctive honors, however if there is a driving equivalent (the Purple Hubcap of Shame, perhaps?) I hereby nominate myself.

On Monday, I prepared to go to work on a beautiful sunny day. I rolled out of the garage and put the car in park and prepared myself by putting up my hair, donning hat and glasses, tuning in the radio, and putting the top down. The top was halfway down when I heard a clunk and in that instant I remembered I had put my purse on the roof of my car while I was still in the garage.

I put the top back up and found my purse tumbling from the back windshield and onto the trunk lid. Thankfully, the contents hadn’t spilled and, better still, I wasn’t on the freeway when I discovered the error. A rookie mistake - one that I’m glad I didn’t suffer for. Or, that anyone saw for that matter so who’s to say it ever happened at all?

After all, I’m not going to tell anybody.

No comments: