Thursday, January 5, 2012

Purse Update

In case you were wondering, I'm keeping it - the big black, expensive, and totally unnecessary, purse. And guess how much it weighs? Just guess.

Big black purses are like black holes. Don't ask me how I went from a wallet on a string (my old purse) to luggage on my shoulder. It's ridiculous. I used to carry: one wallet (which was a rubber band),  keys, and my phone.  That's it. Now, I have a real wallet (that will double as a clutch), my sunglasses in their own case, a checkbook, my iPod, my Kindle, business cards (in their own case), two pens - and that's before I go anywhere. What if I need a hat? Or a place to stash my spiral bound journal?

How did this happen? If it weren't for these spandex jeans (which keep sliding off my hips anyway), I would put my ID and a $20 in my pocket and be done with it. Which is where I'll end up, I know. From one end of the spectrum to the other. It was my husband, in fact, who reminded me this is exactly how I came to give up carrying a purse in the first place (twenty years ago).

But then slowly, ever so slowly, I need a place to put things. First it was my pocket PC, then it was a cell phone, then a smart phone. Then, freaking lip gloss - oh yeah, I gave up makeup about the same time I gave up purses but now ... now, I need lip gloss, maybe two, in my purse. What's more, I need to carry a vast collection of odds and ends to cover any contingency. Kleenex? Got it. Quarter? Yep. Bobby pin? Safety pin? Nail files? Black balloons? Piñata? Sure.

You're going to want me on your scavenger hunt team, that's for sure.

No comments: