Sunday, January 8, 2012

Exchange Rates

The exchange rate for a trip to Belize using coffee as the denomination is six pounds and $15. Santa asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I thought I was very clear: I wanted a trip to Belize or coffee. As you might guess, I got coffee. Approximately six pounds of it, plus a gift card worth $15. Now, if I could only find someone who was willing to trade a trip to Belize for six pounds of coffee, I'd be all set.

For some reason, this reminds me of when, as children, my brother and I were allowed to have whatever we wanted for dinner on our birthdays. My birthday dinner was hamburger patty (no bun) with (jarred) brown gravy and Stouffer's Spinach Souffle. I still have that on my birthday.

What did my brother ask for? Lobster. He was always better at aiming high and getting what he wanted.

Speaking of my brother, that reminds me of red and green cookies - a tradition during the Holidays. Mom always makes these round cookies made mostly of butter, half were dipped in red sugar crystals and the other half were dipped in green. I understand these are traditional Christmas colors but you have to understand that she color coded everything. All my presents were wrapped in red tissue paper, and all of my brother's were green. On the family calendar, all my scheduled events were red, all my brother's were green. (Mom was blue and Dad was black.)

This year, we were all together and Mom brought the red and green cookies. The funny thing is that even though we are well into our forties and, other than the color, all the cookies are exactly the same my brother would only eat the green ones, and I would only eat the red!

I just finished burning up my $15 gift card for coffee so only six more pounds to go. Next year, I'm just going to ask for a trip to Belize and see what happens. (Or, maybe lobster.)

No comments: