Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anything But Live

That's pretty much the rant on the Left (coast), specifically the Upper Left. For those of you not in my time zone, please don't let on about any of today's events at the Olympic Games because I haven't seen them yet. None of us have so don't spoil it.

I can drive to the Olympics (both the mountains and the games). It's only a few hours away. (How cool would that be to have the Olympics in the Olympics? Makes more sense than Whistler, imho.) In fact, if I drive there, I can not see it twice. I can't see it when it's happening because NBC does not broadcast live here and if I drive there, it will have already played out for the day. But prime time lasts until midnight in the Wild Wild West so after I've fed the animals and locked the gate I can watch to my heart's content, delayed for my convenience by NBC.

People are pretty upset about it 'round these here parts. I don't know if they're upset about it in California (help me out, my Western friends) but Seattle is not too happy about it and considering we're next door neighbors to the Olympics at Vancouver it doesn't make sense to many of us.

I guess it depends on how much you really want to see it in the first place. To be sure, there's a lot of entertainment value whether you like comedy

"In an effort to stop Canadian commentators from saying they are wearing clown pants,” wrote Calgary blogger Derek Wilken, “the Norwegian men’s curling team is going to quit coming to games in one car."

... or drama
They broadcast the Olympics for people who like stories about polar bears and gymnasts with rare diseases and speedskaters whose sisters have cancer. ... It’s a miniseries that happens to have some sports in it.

Either way, just don't tell me how it ends.

(Link.)

No comments: